What is sex trafficking?
Sex trafficking is the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harboring, or receipt of persons for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation. It is accomplished by means of force, fraud, deception, threat of force, abuse of a position of vulnerability, and other forms of coercion. They become slaves, only a piece of property. Consumed with fear and hopelessness, they stay.
- Estimates show it is over a $35 billion industry worldwide
- 98% of victims of sex trafficking are women & girls- ILO 2012
- It is second only to drug trafficking, for largest criminal industry in the world. Yet it is the fastest growing criminal industry- US Dept of Health & Human Services 2011
- Human Trafficking has been documented in all 72 counties of Wisconsin in 2013.
- At least 100,000 US children are exploited every year in prostitution in America- Shared Hope
- Estimates at over 300,000 are forced into prostitution annually in the USA
- Approximately 66-90% of adult sex workers were victims of child trafficking and/or sex abuse
- Estimates that every 2 minutes a child is exploited in the sex industry
- 1 in 3 runaways is approached by a trafficker within the first 48 hours -or-
- 70% of runaways lead to Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) – Youthspark Provider
- 45% of CSEC happen online and 50% in Public- Youthspark Provider
- The average age of a child first used in prostitution is 11-14, some as young as 9- FBI status report 2005
- US spends more on international victims of human trafficking, than on our own. They only officially recognized it was happening in USA in 2006.
- Nationwide there are fewer than 30 safe homes for victims of sex trafficking to receive treatment and services. The severe shortage regularly causes inappropriate placement in juvenile detention centers or jail- Streetlight Tucson 2012
- Victims of human trafficking need a complex & comprehensive set of services that require sensitivity & specialized training- WI HT Protocol & Resource Manual by WI Office of Justice Assistance
There is hope! We have seen lives amazingly transformed! From walking dead to beautiful glowing human beings! We can provide the opportunities for this transformation!